Friday, June 27, 2008

Still alive

22/06/2008 Drei Laender Giro (3 countries Giro)
168K, 3450 meters of ascent
9:34 hours, place 565 in age group of 705




When I woke up in the morning of the race I had a well known feeling. It was the same feeling I had when I was going to climb my highest mounains. "Will I still be living tonight?" was the question I asked myself before getting out of bed.

There were so many casualties which I thought about. I had no experiences with this sort of adventure I was going to attend. My first bike race ever. Amidst a field of more than 3,000 participants. Crossing the third highest Alpine pass, Stelvio with 2,757 meters. Two more passes, combined with steep descents and high speed.





Already half way in the race I was so excited I knew I would do this again. Brilliant weather and high temperature even on the tops, we had perfect conditions. I enjoyed every mile of the race - or to be honest, there was a short stretch of real pain: I had to push my bike for 300 meters just 2K in front of the finish - with no more energy left. I would have fallen off if I had tried to go on. No joke I saw a fellow biker before me falling when he lost all his speed at a very steep part. I had cramps in my toes, my back was hurtind, I felt my heart struggling. I got off and pushed my bike - and wasn't overtaken by anybody! As you see it was pure fun! I will do it again.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home