Friday, April 28, 2006

My (short) story of success


Marathon race balance target 3:40 - run 3:40:59

Please kindly accept my apology for being that late again with updating the English version.

There was quite a lot of update work after coming home from the London weekend. I also run a fairly popular website for local runners. Everybody wants to see the weekend's results as soon as possible and everybody is used to find it on www.laufen-in-witten.de. Well, I don't want to conceal that I am more than somewhat proud of it. The best outcome this work produces is that I got to know a lot of nice and friendly people. I have to admit when I take part in a local race there are always runners greeting me and I should know who they are but I don't. It can get really embarrassing sometimes. I could not remember names very well even when I was younger but nowadays I am a hopeless case. What I wanted to say - to update the local part of the website was urgent. Then it was the German report on the London Marathon. Which is available at Bildbericht (English version still to come, tomorrow I promise). And there is also the usual persoenlicher Kurzbericht (just in German). Finally there is the photo gallery.


No question - as you see I was really satisfied with my race. I accurately reached my target albeit the training runs didn't come up to the schedule I designed to run 3:40. I just tried to keep the pace as long as possible and I was lucky to pick up a good day. I think it helped a lot that I relaxed during the final fortnight before the marathon so I felt rested on race morning.

It was not just the race - the whole of the London weekend was a happy story. All the members of our travel group seemed to enjoy their time and I got nothing else than positive and friendly feedback - many thanks for this. On Monday I experienced another highlight when attending the official press conference. Without proper accreditation I have to admit. There was a big sign warning "no public entry" but if anybody is authorized to walk in isn't it the unknown German internet journalist who runs www.london-marathon.info?

This is the way David Bedford looks when Felix Limo is saying:
"I havn't got the money yet."

To read more about race day I sincerely recommend to visit Sabine's blog which will take you right into the mid of the runners and their feelings.

In recent years I always closed my blog after race day. This time I think about continuing it. To do it both in German and English would be too much effort on the long run I presume. So I have to decide about the language to choose. I think I will prefer English cos I find it sort of easier to express personal feelings in a foreign language. It keeps a distance to one's own thoughts. And some people close to me in daily life will not be able to read it which can help.

So watch this space - life goes on after the marathon. Or should I say between the London Marathons?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home